R. H. Thomson Scholarship Apply Now
The R. H. Thomson Memorial Scholarship is an annual scholarship awarded by the Seattle Section each year to honor the accomplishments of R.H. Thomson. The application must be postmarked by May 15th, 2018 and announcement of the recipient will be made by June 30th. The scholarship in the amount of five-thousand dollars ($5,000) will be awarded for the 2018-2019 school year. The disbursement could be in one year or in four years, depending on the recipients college career schedule. The aim of the scholarship program is to encourage students to pursue a course of study leading to a Bachelor or a Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering or one of the specialties within the Civil Engineering discipline. It also strives to honor R. H. Thomson, a civil engineer who had a profound and lasting impact on Seattle's infrastructure.
For more information please read the application.
Richard Williamson Jones Scholarship Apply Now
The Richard Williamson Jones Memorial Scholarship was established by his wife, Kathie, because Richard often commented that when he was a student, he would have been much better off if he had just had a little more money for books and supplies. The scholarship continues through Kathie Jones' estate.
Richard Jones was a civil engineer and a member of the Seattle Section of ASCE, when he died in an airplane crash at the age of 53. He was a graduate of the University of Washington and was admitted as a Member of the Society in 1949 and as a Fellow in 1959. Mr. Jones joined General Construction Company in 1933 where he worked on many projects in the Seattle and Portland area, including the Bonneville Dam and as Chief Engineer on the Hungry Horse Dam. At the time of his death, he was Executive Vice President of General Construction Company.
The maximum scholarship amount distributed annually is $2,000. The deadline for the next award is May 10, 2018. For more information please read the application.
Larry Wade Memorial Scholarship Fund
The Seattle Section ASCE lost a dear friend, and the engineering community lost a leader in the tragic accident that took the lives of Larry Wade and his wife, Judy, on September 12, 2001. They were on a University of Washington cruise and had taken a side trip from Cozumel, Mexico to the Mayan ruins at Chichen Izta on the Yucatan Peninsula. On the return flight, the small plane crashed, killing all aboard.
Larry Roth, of ASCE National stated, "over the years Larry made many outstanding contributions to ASCE having served as National Director, Treasurer, and Vice President. Larry and Judy were active and vibrant members of our ASCE family, and they will be missed dearly by their many friends. Our prayers are with their family and friends as they attempt to cope with all the tragedies of this horrible week."
Larry was an inspiration to many within the Society and the profession. As is true for any volunteer, but especially for Larry, he gave his time and made personal sacrifices to benefit others. He provided the kind of leadership that is and should be a model for many. Judy was very supportive of his ASCE involvement and was a warm presence at many functions. A scholarship fund has been set up in Larry and Judy’s name to benefit civil engineering students at the University of Washington.
This scholarship is administered by the University of Washington, rather than the Section Section. Currently, they do not have a website to direct students to regarding scholarships. The CEE undergraduate advisor, Mariko Navin, works with students regarding scholarship applications and she can explain how the process works. In general, students go through a single application process (beginning in the winter quarter for returning students, a little later for new incoming students), then the faculty committee reviews all applicants and matches the applicants with the best scholarship fit.
For information contact:
Undergraduate Program Advisor
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
More Hall 201
Seattle Younger Member Forum Scholarship
The Seattle Section YMF has been raising money since 2004 to establish a scholarship program encouraging students to pursue a career in engineering. A scholarship of $1,000 will be awarded in the name of the Seattle Section Honorary Members of ASCE. The award will be presented at the May Seattle Section ASCE dinner meeting in Seattle. Dinner will be provided for the winner and up to two guests.
- be Seniors in High School
- show proof of acceptance to a 4-year institution
- be pursuing a field related to math, science and/or engineering
Applications are graded on the following categories:
- Club/organization/team involvement and employment
- Community service
- Two short essay questions
Questions? E-mail Schyler Hect at firstname.lastname@example.org.
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, since 1980, women have made up the majority of students at post-secondary, degree-granting institutions. Yet, they are still under-represented in a number of fields, most notably in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines, and continue to earn about $0.77 of every dollar brought in by their male counterparts. However, there are a wide-range of resources dedicated to helping female students achieve success in both college and their careers.
See bestcolleges resource page for a list of scholarship opportunities specifically given to female students, or affordable colleges page for additional resources. These awards are some of the most important forms of financial aid available to women nationwide. As you'll see, there is a disproportionately small amount of such opportunities given the size of the female student body in U.S. colleges and universities. Nonetheless, the opportunities that are available should not be overlooked. Female students should pursue these targeted scholarships to not only fund their own education but to support the existence of such awards for future students. For working professionals who recognize how crucial sources of aid are for the hundreds of thousands of female students, this list of awards should serve as a reminder to support organizations that carry on the legacy of women's education.
Military Scholarships Guide
Women's STEM Guide
- TheBestColleges.org (http://www.thebestcolleges.org/)
- The Best Scholarships for Women (http://www.thebestcolleges.org/scholarships-for-women/)
- National Highway Institute (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publicroads/06jul/nhi.cfm)
- FHWA National Operations Senior Management (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/news/fhwantlscholarships.htm)
- The Society of America Military Engineers (http://www.samedcpost.org/scholarship.html)
- The Army Engineer Association (http://armyengineer.com/AEA_scholarships.html)
- The Society of Women Engineers (http://societyofwomenengineers.swe.org/index.php/scholarships#activePanels_)
- Finical Aid for Women (http://www.affordablecolleges.com/resources/scholarships-for-women/_)
- Women’s Transportation Seminar (https://www.wtsinternational.org/education/scholarships/)
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (http://www.ite.org/education/scholarships.asp)
- The Environmental Protection Agency (http://www.epa.gov/careers/fellowships/)
- The Udall Program (http://www.udall.gov/)
- Structural Engineers Foundation of Washington (https://sites.google.com/site/sefoundationwa/)
- The Simpson Strong-Ties Company, Inc (http://www.strongtie.com/scholarships/)
- The AMG Structural Engineering Scholarship (http://www.amg-eng.com/structural-engineering-scholarship/)
- Geotechnical Engineering Directory (http://www.geotechnicaldirectory.com/cat/Scholarships_and_Grants.html)
- Civil Engineer II - City of Richland
- Senior Engineering Technician - City of Bothell
- Experienced Civil Engineer - Mead & Hunt
- Civil Engineer - MIG
Job ContactMadison Dreiger - Communications Chair
Advertising Information (PDF)
Job Ad Request Form
- R. H. Thomson Scholarship
- 2018-2019 Scholarship Application and Information
- Richard Williamson Jones Scholarship
- - Application and Information
- Larry Wade Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Younger Member Forum Scholarship
- Women's Scholarships
- Resource Page
- Environmental Scholarships
- Other Scholarships
Scholarship ContactAaron Olson - Chair
- YMF Spring Co-Ed Volleyball Sign Up Sign Up
- April-June 2018
- ASCE COPRI Seattle Dinner Meeting - The Wharf: Largest Waterfront Redevelopment Project in US Register
- May 23, 5:30pm | Mirabella Seattle
- Hike Little Si with ASCE YMF!
- May 26, 9:00am | Little Si Trailhead
- ASCE Seattle Dinner Meeting - LOCEA Awards and Presentations Register
- June 13, 5:30pm | Mirabella Seattle
- YMF Summer Picnic and Elections Add to Your Calendar
- June 14, 5:30pm-8:30pm | Volunteer Park
- ASCE Legislative Committee - Volunteers Needed